OXFORDSHIRE FOLK DANCE ASSOCIATION
Covid-19: All (live) club meetings and events are cancelled until further notice.
Please see events diary for Zoom events
Beginners WelcomeIf you are a complete beginner or have done a little folk or country dancing at school or at a barn dance we recommend that you choose a club that says ‘Beginners Welcome’ and attend club evenings before you attempt a dance in the events diary.
Your first club evening:-
- Just turn up at a club evening or contact the club representative in advance if you prefer
- Come alone or bring a partner
- Wear comfortable shoes and everyday clothes
- Your first evening is free, after that costs vary between £1 and £3 per evening
A typical club evening:-
- All dances will be taught and walked through before the dance starts
- The caller will call or prompt each move throughout the dance
- Experienced dancers are always ready to help beginners
- There will be a mid evening break for tea/coffee or a cold drink
Your first evening might feel a bit confusing but if you decide to continue you will soon find it gets easier. Even the most experienced dancers make mistakes and there is often a lot of laughter. The clubs are friendly and sociable groups. Some organise skittles evenings and meals out too. Folk dance is good exercise; you can take it gently or be as energetic as you wish.
Dancing holidays are organised for all levels of dancers, sometimes walking during the day and dancing in the evening. The holidays are held in all parts of the country and occasionally abroad.
We hope you will come along and give Folk Dancing a try.